- Determine the difference between things that “need to be done” and things that move you closer to an objective or goal. You might have to map out a day or a week to get a good grasp for all the things that need to be done in your career. The goal is to see how much time you have outside of the necessary tasks of the job to devote to your growth.
- The things that are routine…find a way to streamline them or make them more efficient. This might include delegating or getting feedback from your peers.
- For your goal, use the grow model. Goal, reality, obstacles, willing to do.
- Communicate your intentions and get mentors to help you map out the steps to your goal.
- Advocate for your own success
Take a hard look at where you are spending your time. What are you procrastinating? Are you having too much social time at work? What are your distractions? Do you have unrealistic expectations?